“The land of Epic Landscapes”
Being located in the heart of Patagonia, at low altitude and close to the sea, Torres del Paine National Park possesses a microclimate with pleasant daytime average temperatures, which in summer (Dec-Mar) range from 12 ºC to 24 ºC and in winter (Jun-Sept) range from 2 ºC to 16 ºC.
The climate in El Chaltén is quite similar to Torres del Paine, though slightly colder. Throughout the year, the average daytime temperatures can range from 2 ºC to 23 ºC.
Just as in Chile as in Argentina, the weather in Patagonia is unpredictable. The winds can cause the four seasons of the year to appear to happen in one day.
What you will need
A level of health and fitness adequate for a journey which will include many treks at altitudes of between 2,500 and 4,700 meters (8,200 and 15,420 feet) and at temperatures which could drop as low as 0ºC (35ºF) during the day and -20ºC (-4ºF) at night.
It is necessary to have health and fitness suitable for a journey that takes place in difficult conditions where we can face situations of high altitude or large temperature fluctuations. A spirit of adventure, good humor and flexibility in the face of unforeseen events is also recommended.
Appropriate equipment, most importantly:
- Trekking Shoes
- Trekking Pants
- Primary layer of clothing: thermal shirt, long and thick underwear, thick socks.
- Second layer of clothing: polar fleece
- Third layer of clothing: polar windbreaker
- Fourth layer of clothing: down parka
- Thick gloves and ideally a second pair of thin gloves
- Brimmed hat to block the sun
- Sunglasses with UV protection, ideally with lateral shielding
- Sunblock (minimum SPF 30)
- Small backpack for walking (20 to 30 liters)
- Slippers or sneakers for relaxing
1. What kind of emergency medical services are there?
2. How can my friends and family contact me in case of emergency?
3. What is included in the program?
4. How many people go along on the travesía?
5. What documents do I need to bring?
A valid passport
6. What kind of vehicles do we travel in during the travesía?
A Land Rover Defender 110, adapted for the travesía.
Patagonia, by Wayne Bernhardson
Bolivia, Lonely Planet
Complete Survival Manual, by Michaels S. Sweeney
Travel Insider (This will link to outside websites, country specific)
- General Description
- Health Precautions
- Reading List
- Travel Conditions
- Visa Information
- Weather Information